Plan and manage LED new product development resources and activities within the Engineering dept. Ensures projects and engineering deliverables are in conformance with established schedules and objectives. This position reports directly to the Director of Engineering.
- Manage new product development engineering staff for product development and new product introduction through vision, leadership, sense of urgency, teamwork, and culture of innovation
- Ensure priorities, projects and engineering deliverables are in conformance with established objectives, procedures, and schedules. Ensure new designs are validated and tested to all requirements
- Develop, communicate, and implement departmental plan in line with Business Unit strategic initiatives. Responsible for new product development budget
- Determine resource requirements. Evaluate staff and make decisions on additions and/or reductions Motivate, train and mentor staff, evaluating work and overseeing staff development
- Perform management administrative functions such as writing performance reviews and reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules, etc.
- Participate as team member or team leader on cross-functional projects, responsible for ensuring integration of product development engineering activities into overall programs, with strategies, tactics, risk evaluation, schedule, resource requirements, and budget
- Translate market requirements to product development engineering specifications
- Communicate engineering concepts to non-technical audience
- Interact with entities outside the organization – vendors, customers, installers, etc.
- Recommend engineering tools to improve product development
- Domestic and International travel required
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- 8+ years in product development engineering
- 4+ years of supervisory experience
- Extensive experience in the development of LED luminaires required, preferably within the downlighting product category
- Solidworks experience required
- Ability to simplify and explain engineering concepts to educate others
- Ability to apply a wide range of engineering principles to product development
- Knowledge of intellectual property - invention disclosure, patent application and interpretation
- Knowledge of design-for-manufacturing and design-for-quality principles
- Experience with agency product standards and installation regulations
- Experience with CAD and product data management (PDM) software
- Management and leadership skills are required